Custom BTD Black Pearl built for a customer in Ottawa, Ontario during the winter of 2011/12. This was a very unique build and the first BP since 2007.
The Black Pearl is a long, low and narrow kayak of East Greenland ancestry – extremely easily handled, instantly reacting to shift of weight, leaning etc, and with enough secondary stability to support leaned turns, balance brace and such. It is very easily rolled. Designed by Björn Thomasson Design, Lund, Sweden.
– Modified Performance fiberglass lay up: Dual layers of 3.2oz tight weave S-glass. Carbon fiber cockpit interior.
– Hatches are 6″ and 8″ Beckson screw-out deck plates with carbon fiber recesses and internal tethers.
– Day Hatches is 6″ Beckson Stowaway deck plates with carbon fiber recesses internal tether.
– Coaming: Qaanaaq-style solid carbon fiber (twill weave), ocean size.
– Outfitting: Fiberglass tube fittings with 3/16? polyester cord. Curly maple sliders.
– Delivery: January 2012
*Last kayak built under the “Clear Stream Fine Woodworking” company name.
|Design =||Bjorn Thomasson Design “Black Pearl“|
|Length (Overall) =||18′-9.2” (572.0 cm)|
|Beam (Overall) =||19.29” (49 cm)|
|Fore Deck Height =||9.1” (230 mm)|
|Aft Deck Height =||5.2” (130 mm)|
|Finished Weight =||33.5 lb (15.23 kg)|
Join the discussions on Facebook:
This was the first build I documented on Facebook and it received an amazing amount of positive comments.
– FB: Dan CaouetteFB Album: 2011 “Vinaccia” Black Pearl – Completed
– FB Album: 2011 “Vinaccia” Black Pearl – Completed
– FB Group: Black Pearl
See all the pictures taken during the build on our Facebook Page! Don’t worry, you don’t need a FB account to view the pictures. Here’s a sample.